Friday, January 18, 2008

Supper at the Royal William, Cranham

The Royal William is under new management and the word is it is serving home cooked locally supplied Food. All Fresh produce with real ales! That was enough to wet our appetites. The last time we were there, it was all under scaffolding and the interior was in desperate need of a facelift. It had that grubby unloved look with sticky tables and smelly toilets. This time I'm hoping for more, it does look promising though. I rang to book a table and the restaurant is fully booked, we were offered a table in their very comfortable bar area. The chap I spoke to was very pleasant, telling me that they re-opened in early December and have been pretty much full ever since! He also confimed the fresh produce, locally supplied homecooked food!!

I'm looking forward to it...table is booked for 8pm tonight, so I'll be back to comment later!
Ok...
The Good
ø Extremely friendly welcome,
ø polite and helpful staff,
ø décor was great, no more scaffolding,
ø No more smelly carpets
ø The pictures on the wall were of old Cheltenham and were great!
ø I absolutely loved the one of the champagne bottles in the dinning room.
ø The helpful member of staff who took our food order at the table when she realised we hadn’t been told how to order.
ø The large plates. [Not so good on the little table!]
ø The quality of the food
ø The batter on the Pollock – delicious, along with the hand cut chips

The Bad

ø The tiny table for 4 people,
ø Not being told we had to order our food at the bar (what’s all that about?)
ø The stringy chewy piece of gammon (bleugh!)
ø The Beef stroganoff with more mushrooms that beef

The Ugly

ø The uneven floor – Which I know cant’ be helped in such an old building but my elderly guest had difficulty with it
ø The last diners used napkin on the floor underneath my husband’s chair!

I would go back to this restaurant for the homemade chips alone. Loved, loved, loved the attitude of the staff, it’s so refreshing, now-a-days they are usually grumpy students earning their minimum wage with minimum effort!!!

No comments: